Wednesday 17 July 2019

Dinner and natural dyes from the garden


Verbena now in flower

I finished off another flowerbed along the fence on Tuesday 16th and planted out the rest of the Wildflowers from pots along with Woad, some Yarrow, Catnip and a small Verbena. I also added the Snapdragons in front of the Sunflowers, but took no photos. Today (Wednesday) has been wet and windy so far so I haven't even been out yet. It's meant to clear up a bit later.
Tuesday's dinner harvest

Carrot tops 

Leaving them in hot water overnight

Beetroot leaves and root ends in boiling water.


Also trying Onion leaves to use up the compost
I've been thinking about trying natural fabric dyes for a while. After the Beetroot turned my whole stir fry purple I thought  it might be a good time to experiment. I did a quick search on Ecosia for carrot top dyes and found a link which recommended leaving them in boiling water in a glass jar overnight first. I decided to also try the Beetroot leaves and end bits of the roots. All that was left in the compost then were the onion leaves that I hadn't eaten, so I put them in a third jar. I know onion skins can give good results, but have no idea if the leaves will do anything. I'll post the results later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.