Sunday 21 July 2019

Natural dyes experiment 1





I decided to experiment with dyeing using natural dyes during the week, but as it was a spur of the moment decision I didn't prepare the fabric or use any mordant, so I knew results probably wouldn't last. I used an old t-shirt which would have had any surface treatments well washed out, but ideally it should have been boiled in white vinegar or left in an alum or iron mix before applying the dye. I left the first three natural dyes in the jars overnight first (Carrot tops and Beetroot are often used for dyeing, I just tried the onion leaves because they were there too).
First I tied the t-shirt up to fit in the jars, I didn't bother removing the leaves or creating a proper heated dye bath, as this was really just an experiment to see what would happen with cold dyes.
After about four hours in the Carrot top water I turned the t-shirt over and left it overnight in the Beetroot water. The colour change was obvious very quickly, but Beetroot is known to not be very colourfast, so I was interested to see what would happen.
The Beetroot dye I made was also mainly from the leaves and stems, not the root.

Before I opened the t-shirt the next day I dipped the yellow end briefly into the turmeric dye I made the second day. I also put a small piece of cotton string into each jar and left them overnight.

After it was opened (and still wet) the Beetroot colour is very pink, the Carrot top parts are a pale yellow and the turmeric square is a much deeper yellow.
This is how the strings looked after they came out of the dye. The colours in the photo aren't very accurate though, the turmeric wasn't quite so yellow. The onion leaves didn't really do anything, which I was expecting.


After one day the pinks were fading to more browns and the pale yellows becoming greener. It was dry at this stage.
Another day later (21st July) and there is even less pink and more green. The turmeric square has also faded somewhat, but is yellower than it looks here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.