Monday 15 April 2019

A Wet Sunday


I got up very early as I thought if I could get the liner on the pond before too much rain fell I might be able to collect the rest of the rain. I got old carpet to line it first and slipped in the mud and fell immediately. I decided it's not worth getting injured, and there was already a bit of water pooling in the bottom, so I left it until next week. The weather is due to take up from Tuesday with high temperatures forecast at the moment for the weekend.


I presume this is damage from last Tuesday when I forgot to open the windows. Lots of the leaves were shriveled when I got home. I then watered everything with the hose in a panic, which may have done more damage, scalding leaves. Most things have recovered, but there were a few casualties. The potatoes are probably ok, as it is only a few edges that are gone brown. Some of the Sweet Pea may not recover, but most of them are mainly ok, with just some yellow leaves. I will plant them out later this week. One of the Radish plants is shriveled up, and I lost one of the two Lavender seedlings, a coupe of the weaker tomato plants and possibly all of the Dill.






Two of the four Strawberry plants in this box looked dead, so I moved the other two into the first box and planted out the remaining Red Barron Onion seedlings so I could reuse the seed tray. They are too close together to develop fully here, but I'll use the thinnings in stir-frys or salads later. More went in with the Lettuce and Spinach, and I munched on a few leaves of these while I was at it. They have gotten to the thinning stage now too.





Lidl Cucumber repotted

Scabious seeds sown.

Garden Cosmos seeds.

Nine Sunflowers planted, more to follow.
I visited Fernhill Garden Centre in Athlone in the afternoon. I was really cold, so I didn't really have a proper look around, but did pick up more seeds, a few plants including these below, and found time to have cake in their coffee shop. 



The rain doesn't seem to be damaging the edges, so hopefully it will be fine when it dries up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.