Saturday 2 March 2019

Crop rotation plans

Storm Freya is hitting Ireland today and while it was not too bad here it was very wet for most of the morning. Met Eireann's app promised sun by 3pm and it arrived right on cue, but it was still very windy out and rain returned by 5pm. I went out for awhile anyway and moved a lot of the dead grass and weeds from the patch where the raspberries will go.
I also covered up the potatoes in the greenhouse and brought the tomato seedlings into the house as the rest of the week is to be cold, with sleet and frost forecast.
I spent some time reading up on crop rotation and planning the best way to divide up the vegetable bed space. I decided to go with a five year rotation so that I can include onions etc. separate to other roots and divide the space relatively equally. I've put courgette, beetroot and spinach in with potatoes this year, as I might not grow any potatoes once the ones in the greenhouse are gone. They, along with chard don't necessarily need to be rotated. I've put the chard in with carrots and parsnips for now, but may just use it, spinach and beetroot to fill gaps. The courgette plants need about 1m2 each so I won't grow more than 2 or 3.

The yellow and orange beds on the plan are closet to camera in this picture.
There was lots of surface water around the garden today. More rain is on the way over the next few days too. Luckily willow and dogwood don't mind the wet too much.
More puddles.
One of these trees had blown over, so I added more compost around the base of both and tried to prop it up. They are the willow trees I moved last week which had some roots cut back. They originally grew from sticks that had been lying around for months, so I am hoping they will recover again.
I cleared several wheelbarrows full of old weeds and grass from here today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.